Saturday 3 October 2015

Why won't my front loading clothes washer work? I bet you didn't think of this did you??

This week I was called to remove a dishwasher from a customers home which they had for nearly 20 years and replace this with a front loading clothes washer, sounded like a pretty simple job?  Probably have to adjust a few connections but nothing to major one would think??
I arrived on site to perform the installation of the new front loading clothes washer, my customer had purchased this from Radio Rentals the clothes washing machine was already 1 year old as it was an ex rental machine, it was in really good condition like new.
I started by performing the plumbing disconnections of the old dish washing machine, the dish washer was located approximately 3 meters away from the kitchen sink so the cold water inlet and pumped drainage hose had both been extended through the cupboards to suit the location.  Fortunately there was an isolation valve for the water (and it actually worked, even bigger bonus).  Removing the old dish washer wasn't to bad but getting the new clothes washer into place is always quite a challenge especially when your on your own.
Once the new clothes washer was in its place there was a few minor adjustments that needed to be made to the plumbing, the water inlet needed extending by approximately 500 millimeters and the pumped discharge line needed extending by 1 meter.
Once these fairly simple plumbing jobs where performed it was time to check for leaks on the new plumbing.  To do this  I simply turned the water back onto the supply for the clothes washer and then ran the machine through a short cycle (the power must also be turned on), by running the machine through a cycle this will allow me to check for leaks on the pumped discharge line.  When the water started to get pumped through the line one of the stainless steel worm clamps I used did have a little weep so this needed a little further tightening up, after that was done the small water leak stopped and there were no other leaks, great result!
I then proceeded to start fixing a couple of leaking taps over the kitchen sink whilst the machine finished off its cycle,the strangest thing was happening, the machine would get to the end of its cycle and just would not dump the water, i tried resetting the cycle and a few other things like turning the power on and off to re set the computer inside the machine.  Even after trying these things the machine would not dispose of the water from inside of the front loading clothes washing machine?  What was going on?  I was starting to scratch my head a little and I felt a few more grey hairs coming on.  I pulled the clothes washer out from under the bench again to see if perhaps the pumped drainage hose was kinked?  No everything was fine, what was going on.  There was no instructions as the unit was 1 year old so I was very baffled.  I didn't want to leave the property with the machine not working but perhaps I may need the manufacturer to engage one of there service agents, it sounded as though there was a problem with the pump.
As I was finishing off the leaking taps over the kitchen sink I had a thought pop into my head, could the pumped drainage line be blocked?  I looked down the trap riser in the sink to see if there was some sort of blockage stopping the water getting into the 50 millimeter S and P combination trap.  I couldn't even see where the nipple on the side of the trap had been drilled out what was going on here???
I asked the customer have you ever used the dishwasher that has been in your house for 20 years?  She replied no it never worked properly, she told me her friend hooked it up for her many years ago and didn't want to tell him it didn't work. OH MY GOD, so for 20 years these customers have had a dishwasher which never worked.  So I disconnected the PVC trap under the sink and sure enough the nipple on the side of the trap had never ever been drilled out "WOW WEE".  So I carefully drilled it out and put all the waste riser plumbing back together, checked it for leaks by running some water down the sink and then went over to the front loading clothes washer, I turned the new machine back on and sure enough as it went into pumping mode to get rid of the water away it all went down the drain AMEN.   I told the customer of the great news, she started hugging and kissing me she was so re leaved, trust me she wasn't the only I tell you.
Can you believe this experience which I had it has surely amazed me and given me a real reminder that when your working in the maintenance plumbing field fault finding can really play a large part of the job and being able to successfully identify and then fix the plumbing or gas problem can make the real difference between a good job and an outstanding job!
If you need a plumbing firm who can undertake a task for you that may be a little left of field why not visit us at https://www.linkedin.com/pub/master-plumber/88/892/7b3 or call me on my cell phone +61429361819, hope you have enjoyed reading about my experience this week as a plumber and I cant wait to bring you more exciting stories to you in the future.
If you've had an experience which you would like to share I'd love to hear from you, please drop me a line.

Connecting a front loading clothes washing machine by a licensed plumber

3 comments:

  1. I knew this blog post was existed someplace. Thanks to post such articles. Will unquestionably be using it very soon.
    plumbing services near me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facilitate the part is separated into various kinds of temporary worker relying upon nature of development work dealt with by them. heating repair poughquag

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your post.... and I got useful information about the matter... I just tried to write the same post...
    best dishwasher offers in uae

    ReplyDelete